Combine Comedy and Drama
Theatre Arts Awards 2010-2011
As high school awards ceremonies go, the Sayville Players/International Thespian Society Troupe #6416 Annual Awards Ceremony and Officer Installation (presided by Director Steven Hailey) has always been among the most entertaining!
As in many years past, there was comedy in the induction of new officers who either were dubbed, bedecked, or dumbfounded by amusing props or confounding advice of the outgoing officers—this year an inductee performed an impromptu limbo dance—there was wit in the live and unpredictable improvisation as recipients were named and awarded, and there was genuine catharsis when the winners of the memorial awards were announced.
Another tradition was the performance of Lori’s Song, written specifically by music teacher Amy Baron to commemorate the diverse musical and dramatic legacy of Lori Abrams, who died tragically in a car accident. Every year, since 2001 when the Lori Abrams Scholarship was established by former Sunrise Drive teacher Judy Abrams as a memorial to her daughter, a graduating senior is recommended to the Lori Abrams Scholarship Committee. The candidate is a drama and music Sayville Senior who best honors Lori’s memory, and the selected scholarship winner sings the song at the Sayville Players Ceremony.
This year’s recipient, recommended by Drama Director Steve Hailey and Music Chairperson Jeff Hoffman, Catherine Rico gave the audiences a heartfelt performance inducing wells of tears among those who remembered Lori. Beautiful performance Cathy! Congratulations!
- Senior Supporting Awards: Andrew Campbell, Francesca Cascardo
- Senior Leading Player Awards: Rachel Crennan, Brianna Gomez, Marra Kassman, Alivia Wesley
- Excellence in Direction Awards: Kayleigh Brennan, Rachel Crennan, Andrea DeVenuto, James Harlin, Kenneth Murray, Catherine Rico
- Outstanding Theatre Production Awards: Katherine Palma, Samantha Ruta
- Outstanding Dramatist Awards: Andrea DeVenuto, Kenneth Murray
- Thespian Circle Award: Kayleigh Brennan
- Lori Abrams Memorial Drama and Music Scholarship: Catherine Rico
- Kenneth Reed Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Theatre: Samantha Litter
- Sayville Players Honour Troupe 2011: Kayleigh Brennan, Andrea DeVenuto, Georgia Grant, James Harlin, Samantha Litter, Kenneth Murray, Katherine Palma, Catherine Rico, Samantha Ruta