Musical Accomplishments Districtwide
March - Music in our Schools Month
Among the many diverse musical accomplishments of our students and staff, the following items deserve special mention:
- Sayville Senior Drew Hartman was selected to be in the All-County High School Jazz Ensemble as the only drum set player
- Sayville Junior Tess Buono was selected to perform in the Suffolk All-County High School Jazz Choir
- Three outstanding Sayville Music Teachers—the most from any one school district on Long Island—were selected by Nassau County as Guest Conductors:
- High School Chorus Teacher Jeff Hoffman—Division I
- High School Band Director Peter DeSalvo Division I
- Middle School Chorus Teacher Betsy Cohan—Division III (Grades 7-8)
- Sayville orchestral students and their director Ari Kramer have been asked to perform at the MacArthur Airport--not once, but several times--as entertainment at various Airport's Events and celebrations.
- Sayville Seniors Gary Jones and Thomas Mittiga performed at MENC All-Eastern Honors Ensembles in Providence, Rhode Island
MARCH IS ALSO MUSICAL MONTH AT SAYVILLE HIGH SCHOOL: Both the Music and Theatre Departments are presenting four "magical" performances (March 18-21st) of Disney's Beauty & the Beast. DON'T MISS IT!
(For reserved-seating tickets, call 244-6600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Sayville School District opened the doors of the Middle School for a new SMBA event: SMBA (Sayville Music Boosters for the Arts) sponsored a SAYVILLE MUSIC IDOL fundraising contest (hosted by Gene Henriksen in cooperation with Music Idol Entertainment www.musicidol.org whose sponsors include WBLI and Cactus Hair Salon) that encouraged so many Middle School and High School students to take center stage and perform pop tunes. (Nearly 140 students signed up to try, 83 actually auditioned, and 39 made it to semifinals.)
During the Music Idol semifinals held on March 5th, ten high school finalist were picked: Shannon Canter, Raffaela Capp, Kasey Golka, Brianna Gomez, Molly McCauley, Jessica Peluso, Cathy Rico, Lyndsey Romard, Jackie Routh and Harrison Schenkel; while the ten Middle School finalists were: Marissa Casazza, Anna Corso, Tim Costorf, Jake Haggart, John Haggart, Shannon Hickey, Liam Hofmeister, Libby Larkin, Kayla Stockert, and Jake Vail.
At the Finals on April 3rd (open to the public: tickets on sale, call Terry Brennan at 631-589-8280), one High School student and one Middle School student will be selected as Sayville Music Idols.
- SMBA also held its annual Afternoon in Celebration of the Arts concert which showcased the remarkable performing talents of Sayville Seniors Thomas Mittiga, Christina Natoli, Melissa La Pinta, Jared Linehan, Roxy York, and Kristina Schroeter. In addition, student teacher Jonah Piali and Sayville Alumna/music teacher Kerri VanBoxel were among the professionals/teachers Jeff Hoffman, Dr. Jen Morgo, and Amy McGrath who enhanced the afternoon with their amazing performances. To see their performances, go to http://sayville.k12.ny.us/district.cfm?subpage=16695 for photos and video.
- DATES TO REMEMBER
Friday April 3, 2009 7PM
Sayville Music Idol Finals sponsored by Sayville Music Boosters for the Arts (SMBA)
Sayville Middle School, 291 Johnson Avenue
Move over American Idol. The Sayville Music Idol Finals are here!
Join us for this fantastic professional show produced in cooperation with Music Idol Entertainment. Cheer for your top 20 idols as they perform! The winner will receive a recording session at SSLI Recording Studios and a guest DJ appearance on WBLI.
This is a SMBA scholarship fundraiser – last year SMBA distributed over $16,000 in grants and awards to talented Sayville students. To see videos from previous Music Idol competitions, please visit www.musicidol.org. Don’t miss this amazing event. Tickets $10 at the door.
Monday, April 20 7:30PM
The Music of West Side Story will be performed by the award winning Sayville High School Wind Ensemble
Sayville High School, 20 Brook Street
The Sayville Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Peter DeSalvo, will perform the music of Leonard Bernstein’s Westside Story. This outstanding performing group is considered one of the best in the state and has received outstanding ratings at the state, regional and national levels. The concert is free and open to the public.
Wednesday, April 22 7:30 PM
Jazz Night , Sayville High School
Don’t miss the night everyone talks about – when the Manhattan Jazz scene comes to Sayville! This year’s Jazz Night features the Sayville High School Jazz Choir and Jazz Ensemble performing with two jazz giants, vocalist Jackie Presti and Dominic Farinacci, a world class trumpet player.
Jackie Presti has worked in every aspect of the music business.
In addition to performing on and off Broadway and on TV, she has sung, contracted and/or conducted choirs for over 30 major motion pictures.
Dominic Farinacci, originally discovered by Wynton Marsalis, is a graduate of Juilliard. He has performed and/or recorded with many high-profile jazz artists in the US and abroad and is considered one of the most gifted jazz musicians under the age of 30.
Ticket suggested donation is $10 ($5 students/seniors) and will be available at the door or in advance by calling 631– 244-6634.