Sayville High School’s September Accolades
Sayville High School was recently named a Reward High School for the 3rd consecutive year by NYS. This distinction has made our High School eligible for a $75,000 grant which affords us an opportunity to model our program to other schools and/or districts that have been identified as Priority or Focus schools (schools in need of improvement).
1. Art Department
This past summer, SHS junior Rachel Zarrett, was asked by Ms.Volpe, the Library Media Specialist at Lincoln Avenue elementary school to design and paint a mural. Her incredible talent will now be enjoyed by Lincoln Avenue students for years to come.
2. English Department
Our student government ran a very successful video game competition night - complete with ranking brackets and all. Students have been inquiring "When's the next one?" More fun and fund raising is in-store for the school with Saturday's upcoming car wash, and the first annual Powder-puff football game next month; all this under the guidance of English teacher Kathy Van Dorn.
3. Guidance Department
Our Guidance Department hosted a very successful and well-attended Senior Parent Information evening program. Other upcoming programs offered by our Guidance team are College Information Night on Tuesday, September 21st at Connetquot HS and Senior Financial Aid Night on Tuesday, December 2nd. We are also pleased to announce that the PSAT exam will be administered on Wednesday, October 15th . This is a change from the traditional Saturday administration and will afford a larger number of students to avail themselves of this important practice SAT exam.
4. LOTE Department
The Language Other Than English (LOTE) Department, at Sayville Schools, begins its introductory course in the 6th grade with French and Spanish. Following is a sequential program through Honors and Advanced Placement in the 12th year. Capable and willing students are encouraged to pursue the additional language simultaneously to make them more marketable in this forever changing global society. We are proud to say that this year; we have in excess of 12 of these bright and enthusiastic learners that have dedicated themselves to learning both languages in their already challenging academic schedule. We wish them Buena Suerte and Bon Courage as they master 2 languages other than English.
5. Math Department
Several math teachers in Sayville have started using the power of video and the internet to enhance instruction. Check out a few examples below created by some of the teachers in the department to better assist their students. These videos can be watched anywhere a device has internet capabilities!
6. Music Department
Nick Burkel, a Sayville High School Junior, participated in the Concerti Sinfonietta Orchestra's Concerto Competition in Manhattan and has come in First Place. The prize for first place is a scholarship and the opportunity to perform with the orchestra in Carnegie Hall. This event will mark Nick's Carnegie Hall solo debut!
The concert will take place on October 19th at 2:00 at Carnegie Hall. Anyone interested in seeing Nick perform could follow this link: http://www.carnegiehall.org/m/event.aspx?id=4295003864
For more information on the event please call Jeff Hoffman at the Music office (631) 244-6643.
7. Physical Education Department
Varsity Football Coach Rob Hoss has recorded his 100th career win and in doing so was selected as the NY Giants Coach of the Week. As a result of this honor, The NFL will be donating $1000 to be used toward the Sayville Football Program.
8. Science Department
Our AP Environmental students have partnered with students from other schools to participate in the second annual A Day in the Life event. Click on the link below to learn more:
9. Social Studies Department
Our Social Studies department is piloting the use of ebooks in AP US History classes. Mrs. Kremer’s husband, a NYC firefighter, rode a bike from Manhattan to Montauk for the Wounded Warrior Project and the SHS faculty, students and staff generously supported this effort.
10. Technology/Business Departments
Sayville says goodbye to Yankee Captain, Derek Jeter. http://www.sayville.k12.ny.us/district.cfm?subpage=39929
11. GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
- On September 30,2014 the Guidance Department presented their annual: “SENIOR Parent College information Night” to a record audience. With the transition to a paperless application process in its second year; this evening proved to be invaluable even to the most veteran parents.
- Our first ever PSAT Review Night will take place on Tuesday, October 14, 2014 from 7-9 p.m. in the auditorium. Test-taking strategies and anxiety-reducing ideas will be presented in preparation for another new initiative spearheaded by our Guidance Dept…. Namely, for the first time we will be offering Sophomores and Juniors an opportunity to take the PSAT exam in school during the school day. Collectively, “it is our hope that we will afford optimal testing conditions for young people while at the same time making the experience inclusive for all Sayville High School students.”
- The Guidance Department in conjunction with Connetquot High School is in preparation for our annual College Fair; which will be held on Tuesday, October 21st at Connetquot High School. Nearly two hundred college representatives are expected to attend answer; to questions and encourage applicants. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.